NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Thursday, July 17, 2003  

I am so stressed about the revisions I need to do to my NaNo novel! I don't know how to begin to approach them. My goal has been to send the novel to an editor around August 1, or at least sometime within the first week or so of August (if my birthday, August 3, weren't a Sunday, I'd superstitiously aim to send it that day, I think!). But at the moment, I can't imagine having it ready by then.

I have revision suggestions from the professional critiquer I hired to critique it back in February, and I've hardly implemented any of them yet, because they're so big in scope and I don't know how to make big changes (like possibly changing what the main character WANTS!). I keep thinking--it would take months to make these changes. And of course I've had months, and haven't figured out how to use them wisely...but then I realized that it's pretty silly that I could write the whole stupid novel in 17 days and then think I could do nothing towards revising it in the next 15! I should be able to practically rewrite it all from scratch in that amount of time, if I could get into NaNo mode...sigh!

Part of the problem is that back in NaNo month, I didn't care how great it was, as long as I got something written. Now it seems important to get it right! The other problem is that I don't know which way I want to go with it. I can see several possible ways to take it, and none stands out as being the perfect choice. And of course, this editor may have completely different opinions than the critiquer I used before. But I'm sure it's lacking something, and I know it has to be at least at a certain level to even get revision suggestions from the editor, rather than a flat-out "no thanks!" I sure wish it were as easy to find time to work on it right now as it seemed to be last November! Summer is so ridiculously busy.

posted by Alison | 4:20 PM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me