NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Sunday, May 18, 2003  

So if an editor has shown interest in my NaNo novel, I should be walking on air, right? I actually feel like I'm going to throw up! I think I figured out my biggest concern about it, which is that the 3 chapters the editor saw make it seem like a book primarily about the relationship between my main character and her neighbor/friend. But that's not really how the rest of the book works out! That was the initial premise when I started writing, I guess, but that's not how it ended up, and I'm afraid the editor will be disappointed with the direction the book now takes. I also scared myself by thinking that maybe that WOULD be a much better focus for the book, and that maybe I should get rid of the WHOLE THING other than the first few chapters, and start over with a whole different plot! I got another plot idea which might take things deeper... Ugh!

I also haven't implemented my paid critiquers' suggestions yet, which are not minor or quick fixes. They are things like--give the book more of a plot and fewer subplots, make the main character more sympathetic and less whiny, figure out what she really wants, etc. I'm not sure whether to tackle these things before sending the novel to the editor, or to see what she suggests, because she may have a completely different take on things (the critiquer actually suggested possibly deleting the chapters that the editor liked!), and I might mess it up instead of making it better. The thing is, I know editors ask for revisions and help the author shape the original novel into a better one, but I'm not sure it's to the level yet that the editor would even want to bother with. I'm not sure if it's close enough to get an editor's interest if she saw the whole thing! Of course, I feel bad even saying these things when I know I have a really exciting opportunity right now that every author would like to have, but I'm just so afraid I'll blow it royally & not get another chance!

posted by Alison | 12:43 PM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me