NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Thursday, February 06, 2003  

I plan to send my NaNo novel out for professional critique early next week, which probably means I'm about to shell out a few hundred dollars to have my ego & my hopes for my novel squashed! But I just don't know where to begin revising it--which parts are working (if any...) & which parts aren't, & whether there's enough of a story in it at all. It's impossible for me to see it objectively at this point.

I did get a critique of the first chapter from a writing friend this week--the first person I've showed any of it to, other than one person who never commented on it (!). It was nerve-wracking, but at least she didn't say it was unredeemable! She did agree with my assessment that my 1st chapter is really more of a character sketch than a novel opening, though, and I have NO idea how to start it instead, or where to work in the necessary background info if not there.

Even getting the novel in shape to send to the critiquer has been a pain. I thought all I'd do was some minor line and word changes, but in reading it through with that in mind, I've found some bigger problems! The worst was a continuity problem in which I skipped a whole day. To that point, I was giving a play-by-play of every day, and certain things have to happen on certain days so I can't just rearrange the timeline. I have to account for a whole day now & am having trouble doing so & still keeping it consistent with what I've written before. And even the minor changes are taking me forever. For instance, when I discover that I've used the same phrase 4 times and it wasn't that great to begin with, I'm stuck trying to figure out how to rephrase 2 or 3 of them... I meant to send the whole thing out already, but now I think it probably won't be until Monday.

posted by Alison | 5:50 PM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me