NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Monday, February 10, 2003  

I just spent a very harried weekend working on my NaNo novel most of the time. I only got 4 or 5 hours sleep Friday night, then stayed up Saturday night until 5 am, working on the novel all night! And had to get up around 9. I was so wiped out, but still ended up working on the stupid thing until about 1 am the night after that. And I was only making minor changes for the most part! Well, I also wrote a few new scenes and expanded some scenes, but I didn't delete any large chunks or rearrange anything. I'm probably making it even more of a mess.

The book is now 60,228 words, with 40 chapters taking up 233 double-spaced pages. I am done with my current revision of everything but Chapter 1, which has driven me crazy. I printed out 4 competing versions of the chapter last night & was glad I could weed 2 out immediately when I read them later. (It was probably the stuff I'd written while fuzzy-headed at 3 or 4 am!) I'm now down to the last 2, and I'm asking my husband to give me an opinion on those, but even within them I have something like 30 places where I'm trying to decide whether to rephrase or revise something. And I'm still not convinced at all that the chapter will look anything like this in the future, but I'm at the end of my rope with it for now. I hope to decide TODAY which Chapter 1 to go with, then to finish my final edit of that chapter, print it out, & send it off for critique tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm also trying to polish the synopsis, which isn't quite as done as I thought it was the other day!

posted by Alison | 3:56 PM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me