NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Wednesday, January 29, 2003  

I was up until 3:00 this morning finally breaking my NaNo novel into chapters! I'm considering sending it out for professional critique, but needed it to be in chapters first, & I'd never done that. I'm thinking it was a bad idea not to write it in chapters in the first place! It may have flowed out faster this way, but now there's no obvious structure and I don't always have a good place to end a chapter, especially if I want to keep the chapters to the same approximate length. At the moment I have 39 chapters that range from about 1,000 to 2,000 words apiece (mostly 1,200-1,800), but I've already changed a lot of the chapter breaks today, and am not at all sure I'll keep them the way they are! At one point I had 40 chapters, and I kind of liked that round number. I'm also trying to write a concise synopsis of the novel. I'd love to keep it to one page, but so far have only managed to get it to one page and then a paragraph on the next page (311 words), and that may be as good as it gets!

posted by Alison | 1:48 PM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me