NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Monday, January 20, 2003  

I re-read my whole NaNo novel for the first time last night! I just read it on the screen. I meant to be writing on a different project, of course, and procrastinated by reading the old novel instead. I liked it both more and less than I thought I would. The worst thing is that I think it has a lot of problems, but I am not sure exactly what they are or how to fix them! The problems didn't look as clear-cut to me as I hoped they would. I don't think it's particularly consistent, but then I'm not sure which parts work best & which don't...so not sure which ones to change more! I may look into a professional critique after I clean it up a bit (I did find some outright errors, typos, and continuity problems). I was surprised to laugh out loud in some places, though, as I hadn't recalled it having much humor, and there were a few scenes I loved. I just wish there were more than a few I loved...I wish it were all of them! I'm not sure how on earth to make the rest of the book as good as those few scenes.

In all, I felt it could be salvageable, which I had once wondered about. The storyline isn't bad and I liked the characters more than I worried I would when I read it over. But I don't know if it stands out enough to be published...if it says anything new or different or particularly insightful. My other novels-in-progress tend to be so offbeat that they definitely stand out, whether for better or worse, but I worry this one may be "just another novel." After I read the novel, I skimmed the entire book Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne & Dave King. It did give me a lot to think about on the subject of "Proportion," but I still don't feel I have a good road map to help me get started with revisions--I'm just not sure how to approach it.

posted by Alison | 3:23 PM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me