NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Wednesday, November 13, 2002  

When I just read what I blogged earlier, I realized my character's story parallels my own life way more than I had realized. My parents are still married & her dad is getting married for the fifth time, she's more rebellious than me, and I actually liked high school pretty well, while she hates it...but I now see the parallel in her feeling of being trapped in a place with no one she can relate to. I now also see I don't necessarily have to stick her in a small town for her to feel stuck! I felt stuck in a university of 50,000 students. My freshman and sophomore years of college, I felt isolated from my friends back home, who seemed more like me than anyone I was meeting at school (I did have friends at school, but it was just never the same, and without a car I felt stuck on campus). I ended up moving back home for junior year--looking for that place I fit in better. Of course, everything was different when I went back. I made a whole new set of friends, found new faith, and ended up going back to my original university at the end of the year, where I still didn't know what I was going to do, but knew I was now more able to face whatever life offered. And it did, indeed, all work out & I got my degree from there. And I later returned home again, where I met my husband in the group of friends I had made that year I was home (and now have moved back to my university town!). My story could not be resolved in a short road trip, but I see that it has the same elements I wanted for her story--feeling like a misfit, searching for a better fit, and not finding exactly what she's searching for but finding new strength that makes it okay. And still having hope for that better fit somewhere down the road. And until this moment, I had no idea I was writing anything that had to do with me!

posted by Alison | 11:25 AM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me