NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Tuesday, November 12, 2002  

So I've hit 30,000 words, as of 12:30 this morning, but I also feel like I've hit a brick wall. I actually do know what to write next, because I've left my main character right at the beginning of a psuedo-date and I still have to tell what happens (which I don't know yet), but in general I'm running out of steam. I was thrilled to get this far, but it's going to take a lot of stamina to get through 20,000 more words of this, and I'm not sure it has that much life in it! I feel like I'm not writing a novel so much as I'm writing a big mess of words that has some of the same characters appearing throughout. ;-)

It's hard for me to keep my focus. I actually wrote 3,000+ words in the past couple of days on a new novel for children. I have NO idea where it came from, but Sunday morning I just found this line in my head: "Ever since I fell in love with the enemy, things haven't been quite normal." Turns out the "enemy" in this case is a contraband brand of bubble gum. It's just silly & I was having great fun with it. Then I also started a children's poem about flamingos, and even jotted ideas from a poem written from a fork's point of view! All of which are fun...but not what I should have been writing! I didn't write a thing on my NaNo novel Sunday, but did make myself sit down & slog through about 1,700 words on it Monday night, just to get back into it. Emotionally, though, I'm still not back into it.

posted by Alison | 9:36 AM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me