NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Wednesday, November 13, 2002  

Only 16,134 words left to reach 50,000. If I write 1,667 words a day, I should be done in 10 days. If I take until the end of the month, I only need to write 897 words a day. However, at the moment I see no hope of finishing the actual novel in 50,000 words! I suppose it's a problem if I'm not even sure what it's about yet... (imagine big-eyed icon from NaNo forums here).

I'm beginning to think it has no plot. My character just seems to accept whatever happens to her--she grumbles, but doesn't really try to change anything. A character pretty much has to try to change things for there to be a plot. My original plan was for her to sort of run away--take a road trip and look for a place she fits in better. She'd seek out 2 different online friends & then her former step-sister, and learn stuff along the way but realize it was her that needed to change (somehwat), more than her situation. She'd go back to the less-than-ideal situation but she'd be a stronger person, more ready to face what life threw at her. Well, 33,866 words in, she has yet to consider that trip! I don't think I can squeeze it all into 16,000 or even 20,000 words without it feeling rushed. I think I completely distracted myself--and her!--by throwing in the Dexter Monday character she developed a major crush on. I don't plan to take him out in revisions because he livens it up so much, but he did make her stick around too long! She thought he was going to make it okay to stay where she was, but now he's leaving...but it's getting awfully late in the story for her to suddenly hit the road. If this were an adult book that was supposed to be 75,000 or 100,000 words, I'd be at a pretty good place with it, but I really wanted it done by 50,000 or 55,000 words!

posted by Alison | 11:07 AM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me