NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Monday, November 25, 2002  

One of the NaNo forum topics I saw today is about how your novel would be reviewed. My guess for my own was: "A quiet, self-indulgent coming-of-age novel that meanders about without managing to go anywhere. Though the prose is competent, there are no surprises here and it fails to add anything to the genre." Sad, huh?

I'm feeling particularly bummed today about my potential to have a book published, because I got a rejection today for my first picture book submission. I know everyone gets lots of rejections, and it's certainly not my first rejection or even close to the first this year, but of all the things I've ever written, this is the one I thought was closest to being a shoo-in, and I had submitted it to an editor I'd met personally. She rejected it personally, but the best thing she said about it was "I do admire certain things about the manuscript." Not exactly glowing praise! She said the subject had lots of appeal for young readers, but didn't say as much about the writing! Eek. I have no idea what to do with it now. I'm considering sending it to the editor I met at the conference last month, but I'm afraid if he doesn't like it, he'll be less inclined to look favorably on the novel I hope to send him later!

posted by Alison | 8:05 PM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me