NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Sunday, November 10, 2002  

I'm stunned. My hope was to get to 25,000 words by the end of the weekend, and I'm already past 28,000 on Saturday night (early Sunday morning...). I wrote around 7,000 words today! Half of which I wrote on a car trip! We took a 3-hour round trip to take the kids to the zoo, and I wrote exactly 3,500 words during that time, with my Palm device & my fold-up keyboard. I just tuned everyone out & went for it. (I use a large, collapsed cardboard mailing box as a desk in the car--works great.) Then after we got home at night, I wrote about that many more! It's pretty disjointed since I was skipping around some in the story, but I am still amazed.

I'm having my doubts I can finish this novel in 50,000 words, though. I feel like I'm still introducing stuff! But young adult novels, which this purports to be, really are around 50,000 words. Much longer than that, and I couldn't dream of getting it published someday. So maybe being so wordy isn't a good thing! On the other hand, it may be better to end up with too much, and have stuff to cut, than too little when you don't know what else to say. And it may be that I'm telling a different story than I think I am... Maybe I'm not going to end up with the lengthy road trip I was expecting to have! I have been writing this in a slow, day-by-day format (that is, the whole thing so far has taken place in one week), and that does contribute to wordiness, because after the main action occurs, I still have to explain what she does the rest of the day, even if only in a sentence or two.

posted by Alison | 12:51 AM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me