NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Wednesday, November 27, 2002  

I got my second writing check today! I sold a poem to Guideposts for Kids in September, and then I wrote up the story of my first sale and today I got a letter and a check in the mail from ByLine, accepting the first sale story for a future issue! That almost makes up for the rejection earlier this week, not to mention the two poems that failed to place in ByLine's recent children's poem contest. (But a cheesy romance story I wrote did get an honorable mention in their genre fiction contest...nice!) So, November has been quite a month! I've written 70,000 words (58K on the NaNo novel plus about 12K on 2 other writing projects), had a humor piece published (unpaid), and made my second sale. And I have NaNo to thank for a lot of it! I credit NaNo with nearly all of the 70,000 words (even the non-NaNo words, which were still inspired by NaNo having gotten me into a writing mode), and I also might not have submitted the article to ByLine when I did if I hadn't been trying to hurry & get it submitted before NaNo started (I sent it out Oct. 15).

And on a more NaNo-specific note, I had my first dream about NaNoWriMo last night. I dreamed that a bunch of wrimos were camped out in the parking lot of a big Target store, working furiously on their novels from within cars, vans, tents, sleeping bags, etc.! The store had lots of literary merchandise to sell to everyone, like stationery and scarves with book designs, but I thought the cutest things were some kids' t-shirts and underwear that said something--I can't recall what, but it was something like "WRITE TYKE." They weren't in my kids' sizes, though, and while I was debating whether to get any anyway, they all sold out to other people who didn't even have kids! I was bummed we didn't all have name tags with our usernames on them so we could recognize the people we knew from the forums when we saw them in person.

posted by Alison | 8:47 PM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me