NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Thursday, November 07, 2002  

I didn't write a single word yesterday, and I don't know how I can write one today, either, when I am confused what this whole novel is about or where it's going. My original plot ideas seem too flimsy and not interesting enough, and they don't really follow well from what I've set up so far.

I also just started thinking that there may need to be more reason that my narrator, Lydia, is as anti-social as she has been. I've been trying to make her sound slightly more social in the last few parts I wrote, but now I'm thinking maybe something happened to push her to where she is now. More than just her father's divorce when she was 11, which had been the biggie up to now (she had been close to her step-sister, but when her dad got divorced, they were no longer step-sisters). Like, maybe she got ostracized at school for some reason, by people she either thought were her friends or just thought had never noticed her at all. So now she has built up resentments and/or feels she can't trust people. But I don't see her as someone who is ostracized now...so maybe it was just one big incident that left its scars. I don't know, but it seems like if I'm going to put something like that in there, it would have already needed to come up in the first 15,000 words! :-0

posted by Alison | 12:47 PM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me