NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Saturday, November 16, 2002  

I am a zombie. I am a zombie who has written slightly more than 50,000 words in the past 16 days, not counting non-NaNo things I've written. And I am a zombie who has written more than 11,000 words today after lying in bed awake until past 4:30 am. You can imagine how bad they are. I think it looks like an entirely different novel than the previous 39,000 or so words seemed to be from. And here's the kicker: I'm not near done. I have not updated my word count on the NaNoWriMo site because I don't want to get that little green "done" bar until I feel I'm really done. It already feels anti-climactic to be past 50,000 (like, 50,057, I think) without being done with the story. I fear there may be 5,000 words left to go. At least. It's like a long, dark tunnel I don't want to go into, since I just got out of one, but if I don't go in soon I might never do so!

I know, I should be thrilled. I'm just too zonked to be thrilled right now. I typed for seven hours straight today, only eating lunch at 2:30 when my husband brought me food and kept bugging me to eat it. I only stopped typing at 6:30 because he wanted me to come down and help with the kids--otherwise, I probably would have kept right on going. I thought I'd go back, but the last kid just got to bed and I don't think I could write a coherent bit of narrative right now. And as it is, at 9:30, I still haven't eaten dinner, even though I'm starving (all I had for lunch was 2 chicken strips, & no side dishes since KFC stuck the wrong side dish in my meal). My eyes are doing weird things, I have a crushing headache, I'm shaky all over, and my brain isn't functioning quite right. I almost feel hallucinatory, or at least like I'm sleepwalking. This is not the heroic, happy way I wanted to reach 50,000 words. It's no fun to feel like a zombie and realize my last 10,000 words or so seem to have been written by one. Why didn't I pace myself? I was just so worried about not completing it.

Anyway, I hope to finish tomorrow and get verified and all that fun stuff, but I'm terrifed to think of all I still have to write, especially without a word count goal to keep me going. Now it'll just be slogging through, and I know I'm going to rush through important scenes just because I want to be DONE. I'm also sad about it being over. I think it's cool to finish early, but also worried no one is going to want to see posts from me on the forums anymore, with the shocking green bar over there on the sides of my posts. I've already fallen out of the top 10 posters and now may fall out of the top 15. Oh well...I'm just too tired to think about it right now. Good night!

posted by Alison | 9:34 PM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me