NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Thursday, November 14, 2002  

I actually wrote 4,475 words tonight (Wednesday night)! Before I wrote anything, I sat down & brainstormed & wrote a list of what might happen next, & a list of what I thought the next few scenes might be. I spent probably half an hour just doing that. Then before I could bring myself to write anything new, I went back & added some background information earlier in the novel. I had one scene that was just a paragraph long and didn't seem to work, & I decided that would be a good time for my main character to talk about some lousy things that happened to her a few years ago & how she came to feel like a misfit. It doesn't work as it is...it's too informational and more a laundry list of issues than a real narration in her voice...but I'll fix it in revisions. I think it really helps to have more info there, though, or somewhere.

Anyway, then I just started with the scenes I'd outlined & they just flowed out. I think it's way too much dialogue with little to no action, so it may not work, but at least I've moved the story forward and she's now somewhat on track for her road trip. She's about to go to an online friend's house for Thanksgiving. I was hoping to end it all up at Christmas, though, so I'm not sure how this is going to work. She also still doesn't have enough motivation. But I am stunned I wrote that much. Of course, it is around 2:00 am now!

posted by Alison | 1:59 AM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me