NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Saturday, November 02, 2002  

For some reason, I've been able to keep writing & writing & writing. Probably because I haven't been pausing to think about it much. But I still don't think there's much, if anything, salvageable in it! The character probably isn't likable enough, and it's all about her. It's all in her head, for the most part. There's not nearly enough action, probably (though it'll be a "quiet" book in any case), and not enough suspense. No real reason for someone to keep turning the pages. Boo hoo.

I've also surprised myself by writing most of this in first person present tense. I never thought I'd write a novel in present tense! Of course, there is a lot of past tense as she discusses things that happened before, but because of that it makes it really tricky, going back and forth between tenses. I would prefer to write in past tense but it has just come out this way (maybe because I'm used to blogging now, and a lot of that is in present tense?!), and when I tried to rewrite a couple of short passages in past tense, I couldn't get it to work. So I've continued in present.

I'm up to 6294 words now! When I get 632 more words, I'll have more words in this novel than in the one I started 2.5 years ago!

posted by Alison | 11:33 AM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me