NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Sunday, November 03, 2002  

Excellent! I know I'm up too late, but I not only got to 11,068 (!) words on my NaNo novel by the end of Day 2, but also wrote 1,424 words on my other novel--the one I've been blocked on for ages! I think I have Chapter 5 of that one now (though Chapter 3 is still a hideous mess and Chapter 4 needs a lot of work...). I still don't have chapter breaks for the new one.

I've had this crazy, weird idea to add a whole new character to my NaNo novel. Not just a new character, but some sort of larger-than-life persona who might be a major influence throughout the book. Maybe even the catalyst for the plot or a major subplot! OR, not in there at all. I'm not sure yet. The book was just boring me to tears, so blah and predictable and angsty, and when I read on the NaNo forums that someone had a cat named Dexter, I suddenly pictured this guy: Dexter Monday. All I know about him is that he's charming and wears a fedora. I don't know if he's someone my main character knows in real life, or someone she knows about, like a local or national celebrity, or some fictional persona or someone she only knows from online. But I could picture him being some mythical person throughout the book, who somehow represents something she's grasping for. How, I don't know. Why, maybe just to liven things up. And to make this book about something other than my narrator's moaning. The problem is, I can't introduce something like that for the first time 11,000 words in! Not when anyone who's read that far will be expecting a completely different story. So I'd have to go back and insert references to him from the beginning. I don't think it would necessarily change what I've written significantly, but would just add more interspersed through the current scenes. But I still don't know who he is, so how can I write it? Sigh. Why couldn't I just continue as I was? And I might. In the light of day, after a night's sleep, it may seem like the stupidest idea ever, and I can merrily go about writing more of my crap. Or maybe my dreaming brain will come up with the perfect way this all fits together. But more likely, I'll still want to use the idea but will have no idea how to incorporate it, and won't be able to write a thing...

posted by Alison | 1:41 AM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me