NaNoBlog 2002
30 days. 50,000 words. No sweat.

Sunday, November 03, 2002  

Dexter Monday hasn't made his way into my story. I can't figure out how, or if, he should. I even wore a t-shirt to bed last night that says "just researching my novel," as a cue to my brain to work on it while I slept, but it didn't work. I'm no longer racing through the story. I feel stuck. I've almost hit my 1,667-word daily quota today (103 words to go), but I'm not thousands of words up or anything, like I was yesterday.

I'm just hating my story. I should have stuck to humor (what I usually write). My character hates her life in the first place, so who cares if more bad things happen to her? It can hardly make it worse. I think what I need to do is give her some hope--some real, strong, thrilling hope--and then threaten that hope. So it'll matter more what happens. Maybe that's where Dexter comes in... I have no idea. I originally saw my character as kind of like Daria from the cartoon show, but Daria is both funnier and smarter than my character, and she just deals with her sucky life instead of venting about it. It's not working out like I'd hoped.

The question is, if I change it now, do I go back and revisit everything I've written before, and change what I already have? Or just start writing differently from here on out? Or go ahead & finish the 50,000 words in the mood & style I've started with, and then feel free to change it all violently during revisons? I wish I knew!

posted by Alison | 3:23 PM

archives
links
about my 2002 novel
about me